Friday, July 1, 2011

The Note

I'm going to be honest with you. Lately, parenting is hard. I don't know if it's the kids' ages, the not-so-new-anymore baby, the transition to kindergarten and preschool, the fact that their mom is on edge 95% of the time because life just feels overwhelming, or a combination of all of the above, but my two big kids are keeping me on my toes these day! We've actually had a couple of good weeks recently (Praise the Lord for that!), but there were a few weeks there that were not fun. And amidst those hard weeks, Grace produced this little gem. In case you're not fluent in emergent writing, I'll translate for you. "I hate you. Mom is a bum."

I wouldn't let her take out the glue. I'm mean that way, but sometimes, I just don't want to deal with glue.


Now, the good news is she's really coming along in her phonetic spelling. :) She's also got a great sense of humor...a bum? Really? Who says that?


All kidding aside, Grace is a total sweetheart, and she immediately felt bad for writing this note. It turns out, she didn't even know what "hate" meant other than it was a mean word. We had a good talk (after she wisely stayed outside for about an hour after handing me the note) and she was able to express her frustration with the glue issue in more appropriate ways. :)


The note is now tucked away safely as a memento of this time in her life. You better believe I'm hanging onto it for the just the right moment down the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment