Thursday, April 8, 2010

Snowy Surprise

This morning I was sleeping peacefully in my bed when I heard quick footsteps coming closer to my bed.
"Mommy! Wake up! It snowed! Let's go outside and play!" Surely she must be kidding. It's April for goodness sake. We've made it through the entire winter with no snow. But no, this was no joke. Jeff confirmed it.
I had to do something so that I could stay in bed for just a few more minutes. It was just 6:30 for goodness sake! "Gracie, you can't go out in the snow in your jammies. Can you go put some warm clothes on?"

It worked! Quiet bliss followed for just a few minutes. Then she came back with a t-shirt and one glove on. Nothing else. "Mommy! Can you help my find my other glove?"

"Gracie, you need more clothes on. Can you go put some more clothes on?" It worked again! Now normally when I ask Grace to put her own clothes on it takes a very long time. She gets lost in some imaginary world and usually ends up with less clothes on than she starts with. Not today. Today she came back in no time at all. She had on a hat, a sweatshirt, jeans, and one glove. I had to think of something. I was still far too early to be out of bed.

"Gracie, you need socks. You can't go outside without socks on!" Off she ran, but wouldn't you know it, she came back in less than a minute with socks on. "Mommy, now will you help me find my other glove!"

Then, because I love my daughter so dearly, I mustered all my energy, remembered the thrill of snowfall when you're a kid, and drug myself out of bed to find her other glove. In the process, we also found her earmuffs which she quickly added underneath her hat. It was a pretty awesome look.

So outside we went, well before 7 o'clock in the morning, her in her warm clothes, I in my bathrobe, to enjoy the first (and probably) only snowfall of the year. Charlie slept through most of the fun, but did join in after breakfast for about 3 minutes until he decided that snow was too cold for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment